Friday, April 2, 2010

Cookies

To celebrate the launch of Preethi Bhojan I did cookies and cupcakes yesterday

And also to start with a sweet entry :)

Cookies and cakes : Just by varying some ingredients in the base recipe we can do wonders in baking.
For your convenience, here's Brief History about Cookies - mostly gathered from Wikipedia.

The cookies were originated in 7th Century in Persia (now Iran).
And in 16th Century Dutch and English immigrants introduced cookies to Americans.Since people started to explore all places, cookies were the ideal food. They stayed fresh for long periods (for an year), when stored in right conditions.
In 17th and 18 th Century, due to lack of sugar and more labour cost, cookies were considered as a spl treat. In Europe to become a baker one must undergo years of training (We are so lucky in this !!!)

During 19th century cookies developed tremendously because of Industrial revolution which lead to invention of Ovens, chemicals like Sodium bi carbonate (Self raising chemical)

Each country has its own name for cookie :

-- 'Biscuits' in England and Australia,
-- 'Galletas' in Spain,
-- 'keks' or 'Plätzchen' for Christmas cookies in Germany,
-- In Italy there are several names to identify various forms of cookies including ' amaretti ' and ' biscotti ' and so on.

The name cookie is derived from the Dutch word koekje, meaning "small or little cake."
Biscuit comes from the Latin word bis coctum, which means, “twice baked"

Talking about cookies, though I bake varieties here and try out many cookies when ever I hit grocery shop, my all time favorite is Bar-bone and Good Day biscuits.
But nothing will beat my home town bakery biscuits. We will get lot of freshly baked biscuits like coconut macaroons, salt biscuit, butter biscuit, Herb biscuits and so on. They will be always fresh.
I was a regular customer of the corner bakery shop.

One of my favorite here is Mint fudge cookie. Wish I could try to bake soon :))

I would like to go on and on about cookies but will reserve rest for a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my site.
I welcome your comments :)